Who we are

The Lewisham Local History Society (LLHS) was founded in 1961 with the aim of encouraging and assisting study of the local history of the London Borough of Lewisham and nearby areas.

LLHS is a registered charity (number 286783) run by a Management Committee of trustees. It also has a President and Vice-Presidents who take no part in its management.

President (ex officio)

The Mayor of Lewisham

Vice-Presidents

Jennifer Mills

Carl W Harrison

Children’s Day Out, Blackheath Road, circa 1905 (Glass Lantern Slide, MOEL Collection)

Management Committee

Chair: Beryl Gibbs

Vice-Chair/Publicity Officer: Tamsin Bacchus

Secretary: Vacancy

Treasurer: Paul Hamlyn

Membership Secretary: Susan Charman

Programme Secretary/Bookstall Manager: Tamsin Bacchus

Journal Editor: Vacancy

Website/Newsletter Editor: Vacancy

LLHS is funded primarily by subscriptions and donations from its members. Membership is open to all and further details can be found on the Join Us page.

We aim to provide a programme of illustrated monthly talks on aspects of local history, as well as occasional visits and other activities. Further details can be found on the Programme page.

We aim to produce regular news updates, as well as an annual Journal comprising articles on local history. Further details can be found on the News page.

We hold an archive collection of historical artefacts, dating mainly from the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Many of these are available to view at the online Museum of Everyday Life (moel.org.uk), curated by the Public and Community Historian Dr John Price. Further details can be found on the Resources page.

Albury Street (formerly Union Street), Deptford, c. 1911